FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:04 pm
beyounged

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Ok, so I'm racking my brain and reading 250+ posts, plus doing brut force searching on ITA/Google...

I know there's fare rules, I'm not sure where they are, nor if I'd know how to read them, but can someone post them?

Also/alternatively, I'm just trying to figure out what I CAN search rather than just blindly searching. The HKG-HGH thing works, but I can't figure out what other combos work or aren't worth searching.

I'm YVR based, am totally prepared to position to SFO or from SFO one way since YVR seems to work at least one way. SEA is doable, but only really both ways cuz I can leave my car there and pick it up on the other end. I can't figure out why the eastern ones seems to be cheaper, but that's just airfares in general. I'd love to do a stopover in GUM, or NRT, as some others have but I can't seem to replicate. Don't need it as a mileage run, I was gonna go to south east asia end of March, but a trip to Southern China could be just as fun and half the price. Last 2 weeks of March returning first week of April. Totally fine doing all the researching myself, but does anyone have a list or something of cities that work?

Seems to me costs of intra city trips in China are fairly expensive, HGH-PVG is pretty easy via train, but I found when I was in China before and researching that because the govt controls the prices of airfares, even the LCCs aren't terribly cheap.
as far as I know stopovers are almost impossible. You can take the bus to SEA not too painful, I do greyhound to SEA then the tram, which is rather painful but dirt cheap. I once priced out with a stop in SEA then SEA-YVR on AC, which gives you opportunity to hop off at SEA. try 9C or HO for intra China fares on ctrip, can be dirt cheap from time to time. high speed rail for journey below 500 miles can be rather cheap also (<100USD)