FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:55 pm
Youngtraveldude

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
(1) and (3) can usually be booked as 1 award with a total cost of 70K miles in business class or 110K miles in first. (2) will require two different awards: KUL-DOH will be one award costing 40K or 50K for business or first, respectively; and DOH-US will be another award costing 70K or 115K miles. In all instances, even if multiple awards are required, you can book everything in 1 PNR.

Generally, in my experience, it will not make a difference in terms of availability if you split up the legs. In my experience, I have not run into issues with married segments with the airlines that will be relevant for you. Note also that you can use multiple airlines on 1 award. For example, you could do KUL-NRT on MH, and then NRT-US on JL or AA, and pay 70K miles in business class. I think the best way to search for availability (unless you are looking for availability on AA) is to use BA's search engine and search by segment.

You can book HKG-KUL separately and pay the appropriate additional mileage (I might look into using Avios if you can instead of AA miles in this case). Or you could add the HKG-KUL segment to your existing US-HKG award and pay the $150 change fee.
Actually, I do have another question....doing some research now and I am seeing some availability when I search KUL-NRT and then separately NRT-US but not seeing that availability when I do KUL-US. This is on BA.com. If I'm able to find them individually, do you think AA will be able to put both together for one reward when I call them?