FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Making sense of LiveATC feeds
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 18, 10:09 am
PAX_fips

Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(1)
Hmm, I'll take it in the order how "gate-to-gate" ops happen with regard to VHF communications.
Disclaimer: I am just a PAX who's interested in this and I might surely have a lapse or mixup in this understanding I've built up over time listening liveATC (or "funny" recordings), Pilot made videos and so on.

Filing flight plan to ATC; in most (airliner) cases done by company's dispatch. First thing to get is weather and runway information (ATIS). This comes via computer or the pilot can tune in into a VHF frequency where this information is repeatedly broadcasted and updated every 30min - dont think liveATC has ATIS, would be rather boring anyway .

Next it needs squawk code (and I think final flight plan approval) via VHF or ACARS - I've overheard that on liveATC mostly also on 'ground' streams.

Pushback is on 'ramp' control at larger airports or also on 'ground'. Clearance from apron to taxi is by 'ground'. All the way up to the holding point just short the cleared for takeoff runway is described by 'ground' to. At this point the control switches to 'tower' which will release the holding point for line up with the runway and final departure/takeoff clearance, last call is the handover to the frequency of 'departure'.

After leaving the ATC overseeing the departure aerodrome it's handover to the next ATC on the flight path.

Inbound is replacing Departure with Approach.

Bigger airports with multiple runways might likely split runways and approach/departure sectors on different frequencies. Let me find an appropriate aerodrome map reflecting this.

Waiting for corrections / extensions :-)