Old Jan 7, 18, 9:34 am
mtu_flyer

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver, Skymiles Peon, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Chase Reserve
Originally Posted by angra View Post
I'm comparatively new to this game (relative to most of the regulars here), so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Whether it's a good deal depends on your specific needs. With all the changes to FF programs over the last couple of years, it no longer just comes down to $/MQM as you have surmised. Further, what constitutes a good deal is affected by your personal situation. e.g. I'm in Atlanta, so I don't expect super low $/MQM from my home airport.

I'm guessing that you are based in the US, and that the fare you've found is on a partner in business class. If you are based outside the US, MQD don't matter. If you can put $25k on a delta branded amex, MQD doesn't matter unless you are going for diamond.

Assuming MQD do matter, 3-5x MQD/$ seems to be in the good range, but not "awesome" until you get toward the upper end. I'm generally pretty happy at anything >4.

5-6c/mqm is, imo, pretty decent for premium seats. If this is long distance in a seat significantly below modern business class standards, I'd be less enthused.

When I'm looking for pure c/mqm, I typically get interested at around 3-3.5, but only for locations I'm interested in actually visiting. I rarely do a pure absolute MR.

I think you will get better advice if you give more specifics.
I am based in Detroit and Iíve found this deal on Aeromexico in business out of a couple of US airports. Iím just starting out with no status on Skymiles and Silver on FB.