FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:21 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mharlan100
All indications point that this is true. You cannot travel through the Middle East from Africa to North America on one award. There is one exception if you fly Qatar Airways and connect via Doha. Of course being on this forum, you obviously want to fly Etihad.

I read that there actually is no official routing chart with these restrictions. They have just been gleaned through trial and error. If it were me, I would try to call and book it. See if they will let you. If not, and you don't have enough points for two awards, you can always try Qatar.
Also, yes you can voluntarily downgrade a segment if first class awards are not available.
There is a routing chart which lists the exceptions, just that AA does not publish it ; copies of the details have been posted on FT

There is no point repeatedly calling to try to get USA-Africa via AUH priced as a single award ; if wanting to go on EY, then need to accept that it will be 2 awards

Want to go via Middle East with a QR-QR connection, then that will be fine ; otherwise need to go via Europe