FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Polynesia Part II: Easter Island & Mexico City via LATAM Business & Alaska First
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:30 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Alaska Airlines
Premium Class (Q)
SEA – SFO (SeaTac Airport – San Franciso Airport)
AS 300
Oct 8, 2017
Booked: Boeing 737-800
Flown: Boeing 737-800
Departure: 9:45 PM
Arrival: 11:49 PM

We had a shorter than expected connection today with a connecting gate down at Gate D3. We took the train over where we had the ominuous announcement that boarding was going to be “delayed” as there were mechanics on board the aircraft. I took a look out the window and the cowilings weren’t up on the engine so it became a wait and see situation.

The verdict didn’t take too long as they announced a gate change to N12C in the North Sattelite Terminal. If this happened in Canada, the flight would have been cancelled since there are never any spare Alaska aircraft sitting around. Thankfully, Seattle seems to have a lot of extra B737-800’s sitting nearby and we were able to get to the next gate via the train fairly quickly.

After the boarding and gate change mess was sorted out, we had an out door boarding via stairs.

We were upgraded to Premium Class at the 48 hr upgrade window courtesy of Alaska MVP status. We boarded with the second wave on to a plane full of millenials. I felt like I was bringing up the average age of those on the plane by just being there. It seemed like everyone was taking the last flight home for the weekend on Sunday.

The Alaska Premium Class features 6 inches more leg room, priority boarding, power outlet at every seat and free drinks. It was a much more comfortable way to go over regular economy.

We had a full plane on the way out with all the bin space taken within about 50% of the plane being boarded. They were pro-active in gate checking the late arrivals with the rollies as the overheads were stuffed full.

Once on board, a drink service was offered. A small Premium Class snack of almonds, a fig bar and gummy bears was offered for free in a small white box. The box was so sleek, it looked like a small Apple Computer accessory. The Tag Heuer watch is not included in the snack box. There weren’t any premium cabin bottle holders where I was sitting so I had to lay it on the table.

I had a Sun Liquor Gin and Sprite to go with it. I asked for the Sprite can but they weren’t being too generous with it and wouldn’t allow me to have it. LOL. MrsWT73 asked for a white wine and a Sprite and was able to get both but they must not have liked my sparkling personality.

We short checked our bags at the SFO airport since we had an overnight and my TSA lock had been cut off the bag. I took a quick check inside and nothing appeared to be missing. The usual TSA card was also missing; CATSA in Vancouver don’t put cards in your bags so I can’t say for sure where it happened. I've had terrible luck with the bags lately. Every overseas trip has had a theft, loss or delay. Ugh!