FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Polynesia Part II: Easter Island & Mexico City via LATAM Business & Alaska First
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:18 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Polynesia Part II: Easter Island & Mexico City via LATAM Business & Alaska First

Polynesia Part II: Easter Island and Mexico City via LATAM Business Class and Alaska Airlines First Class

YVR-SEA-SFO-MEX (Alaska Airlines Companion Fare)
MEX-SCL-IPC (paid)
IPC-SCL-MEX (paid)
MEX-SFO-SEA-YVR (Alaska Airlines Companion Fare)

In this report:

Alaska Airlines First Class: Vancouver – Seattle
Alaska Airlines Premium Class: Seattle – San Franciso
Westin San Franciso Airport
Alaska Airlines First Class: San Franciso – Mexico City
W Mexico City
Pujol Restaurant, Mexico City
Mexico City
Quintonil Restaurant, Mexico City
Iberia Business Lounge, Mexico City
LATAM Business Class: Mexico City - Santiago
Latam Business Class: Santiago – Easter Island
Taura’a Hotel
Easter Island
Latam Business Class: Easter Island – Santiago
Latam Business Class Lounge: Santiago International
Latam Business Class: Santiago – Mexico City
Alaska Airlines First Class: Mexico City – San Franciso
Virgin America: San Francisco – Seattle
Alaska Airlines First Class: Seattle – Vancouver.

Background:

I had always wanted to visit Easter Island, Chile. It was a remote corner of the world that had always escaped me, even over several trips to Chile. I had previously checked award programs but always found limited business class availability with LATAM / One World. When I discovered the deeply discounted business class fare on LATAM, it was a no brainer. I called over to MrsWT73 who surprisingly agreed to go without question. This was despite our earlier trip a few months ago to Fiji, French Polynesia and a family trip to Hawaii. She must really enjoy the idea of sitting on a beach on an island in the middle of an ocean. With that, it was booked right away with no issues on the LATAM site in Canadian Dollars (from Vancouver). So off we went on the trip to and island (that was like Hawaii in the 1940's) to see hundreds of beautiful stone heads. Never in my life would I have thought that we'd travel to all 3 corners of the Polynesian Triangle in the space of one year, but here we go on the last chapter of this corner of the world.

Links to my previous reports:

Summer is a state of mind; Kaanapali, Maui, via Alaska Airlines with my 13 yr old son, August 2017
Fiji, New Zealand and French Polynesia via Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand and Air Tahiti Nui Business Class (AS, Y, FJ J, NZ Y, VT Y, TH J, AA J), June 2017
Mileage Running to New York via Delta Airlines First Class for Alaska MVP Status (DL J), Dec 2016
Havana and Varadero Cuba via Westjet Holidays from Canada (WJ Y) Nov 2016
Malta (and the island of Gozo), Venice, Italy and Oktoberfest in Munich, via Air France Business Class (AF J, LH Y) Sept 2016
South Africa, Namibia, Victoria Falls, Mauritius & the UAE via Emirates First, Qatar Business (QR J, EK F, BA J, SA J, SW Y) April 2016
Dodging Volcanic Ash: A family trip to Bali / Singapore with my 11 year old (DL J / OZ J / KL J / JL J) July 2015
RTW#3 (J): Vietnam, Maldives, and Tackling India’s Golden Triangle. (AC/OZ/SQ/AI/TK), May 2015
Experiencing flying as a "Non-Rev", Australia Wine and Beaches, (AC J/Y, QF J) November 2014
Alaska Airlines First Class to Las Vegas, and a stay in the Aria Sky Suites “Penthouse” (AS F), August 2014
Family trip to Kenora Lake of the Woods Ontario via Air Canada Business Class (AC J). August 2014
Cathay Pacific First Class to New York, a sombre visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum & 4 days of eating in NYC. (CX F) May 2014
RTW #2 (J) The Khors of Oman- via Japan, Poland & the UAE. RTW in Biz (NH 787, OZ, TG, EY, TK, LH). April 2014
South Africa, Safari in Maasai Mara Kenya, & Mauritius (UA J, SA J, XAK, LX J, AC J) Nov 2013
A family trip to Westin Playa Conchal, Liberia Costa Rica, (UA Y) Aug 2013
Buried Treasure: UAE Empty Quarter and Beyond to Huvadhoo Atoll, Maldives (UA Y, EY J/Y, Q2 Y), Nov 2012
RTW #1(F) The Time Share Presentation: Spain / China / Thailand. (AC J, OZ F, TG F, LH J/F, AC Y, May 2012
A visit to Macchu Picchu and Valle Nevado, Peru and Chile. (AC J, LA Y) Sept 2011
Travel after the Revolution of January 25, 2011. Egypt. (MS Y) May 2011
A Step Back in Time: The Twilight of Burma, a visit to Myanmar (MI Y) Sept 2010

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Feb 12, 2018 at 5:40 pm