FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA announces biggest Gatwick summer schedule in 10 years
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:45 am
squawk

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
The problem with LGW is that if you live north of London, but not along the St Pancras/Thameslink route, it is an absolute pain to get to.
The good news is that Gatwick should get substantially easier to access via public transport over the 12-18 months. The Thameslink Programme will finally mean that trains from Peterborough and Cambridge (as well as the current Bedford line) will continue through the centre of London to Gatwick – I think in May this year.

From December, one will be able to change at Farringdon with Crossrail's Abbey Wood to Paddington service – the full through route rolls out in May 2019. Once both are open, getting to Gatwick, as well as Heathrow, will be far easier from a much wider range of places.

Out of curiosity I've just checked how long it will take to transfer between LHR and LGW once these are in place. Heathrow Central to Farringdon 31 minutes; Farringdon to Gatwick 45-50 minutes. For a total of around 1hr20, which compares fairly favourably to a National Express coach which seems to take between 1hr20 and 1hr40…

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
It will be a shame if MAN, NCL and INV don’t get something from BA to gatters, I was also expecting increases in EDI , GLA and JER
I, too, was hoping for a Newcastle route reinstatement – I'm not sure exactly when they disappeared. When I flew LGW-NCL in April 2010, it certainly wasn't BA - I think it was FlyBe?