FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All things Mandarin Oriental...
View Single Post
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:28 am
MacMyDay

Originally Posted by scented
My favorite in Europe is still MO Barcelona, which just shines throughout and keeps getting better. Bodrum declined right on time after the first two years (plus heard some horror stories), Geneva is solid but can't live up to FS Bergues' excellence there, London will hopefully be better after the renovations but not in the top 3 of that market, I have high hopes for Madrid post renovations (especially since Madrid lacks a high end option), Marrakech is OK... (discussed extensively here), Milan and Paris are both successful although I am not particularly fond of them, Prague is declining and Munich is probably the best hotel in town, although a very proud hotel to say the least -- don't think I will be back there for a while.
I think this is where the power of brand kicks in. From all their "fans", to seeing them in Departures, to Conde Nast, to Tatler, and so on and so on. They are so prevalent that you start to believe they must be good. Just like someone recently commented that Four Seasons is rarely the answer, I feel exactly the same about Mandarin Oriental. They are both always the safe options, but the smaller, boutique properties often exceed them.

I've stayed in Bangkok and fail to see the hype this forum gives it, especially compared to The Siam; had an ok stay in Hong Kong at the Landmark, but nothing compared to The Upper House; there isn't even any point in discussing London compared to what else is available; Marrakech is good, but Amanjena is better; I liked the look of Prague, but after giving FS another go I'm happy to stick with them; in Miami the Setai (although different location) is far superior. I would have given them Tokyo as the service was so good, but after an absolutely brilliant stay in Aman I see no reason to return there either. I visited Milan and Paris and found them both soulless, plus you have an abundance of better choices in both cities.

In my experience, Mandarin Oriental is a good choice, it's just not the best.