FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All things Mandarin Oriental...
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:19 pm
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zephyrous

They offered us 2-3 alternative options; a city view suite on the 8th floor and a couple of harbour view rooms on low level floors. Two hotel employees admitted that the harbour view room on the 6th floor would be the better option for us - which we took albeit the triple room downgrade (after trying to see whether the FS, UP or the Pen would have any rooms available that would be acceptable - they didn't) . Of course, this particular room was miles away from the suite that I had paid for and was promised (including "commanding picture-postcard views of Victoria Harbour" as per their website). External/street level noise was also an issue as I suspect the hotel is not soundproof (in fact we woke up on new year's day by a demonstration on the harbour).

Our comp was a bottle of champagne.

In retrospect, it is perhaps a bit petty of me to describe this whole ordeal as horrible but the reality is that I only book rooms that are fit for a particular purpose of a trip - sometimes these are entry level rooms, other times specific view suites and other times the top suite offered (I have refused upgrades for that matter before). So the whole experience was far removed from what I had imagined and further exacerbated by the attitude of the hotel staff/lack of service recovery and the whole stress of finding other rooms/waiting to see them/seeing independently if there is something else available in town.
Not petty at all. You booked the room you wanted and weren't given it. I would have been furious like bhrubin. My last experience at this hotel was similar to yours. A very special occasion but no opportunities for an upgrade. We were given exactly what we paid for and then less with service lapses with said special occasion. Our service recovery was the yellow label base Ruinart. Did you get the same?

Their hotel has a bad attitude to anyone who isn't in HK Tatler. The past GM didn't even have the courtesy to reply to my letter or email. I think of the big 3 or 4 HK hotels, I'd give my money to Marcel from TUH everytime. He's quite caring and actually listens to concerns.