FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Avis Fly Drive
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:42 pm
shonerm

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I think the bolded portion isn't quite right. It depends on the rental location. I've rented from Avis in the US (via a BA holiday package) and the deductible/excess was zero although they try to upsell you to various forms of personal-injury insurance that you probably don't need if you've got good travel cover. When I've rented in the UK, there is an excess that I cover via separate car-hire insurance.
I have to agree. My last three US rentals have been via a BA holiday package, and on all occasions the excess has been zero. The only options that were available were increased personal injury cover and enhanced breakdown coverage.

Furthermore, I would strongly advise registering for the Avis Preferred programme (even for this one trip). There are a couple of good advantages; (1) your spouse/partner are automatically covered on the insurance (this is in addition to the BA Executive Club offer of a free additional driver), (2) at most airports they have ‘Select and Go’ where you are alerted to your assigned vehicle and it’s location before you land so you can just walk up to it, load up and then drive away. No queuing at the desks to have you licence and credit card checked (these are pre-registered on your Preferred account). Has worked brilliantly on our last three trips since using BA/Avis.