FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:18 pm
skeeze666

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Thanks. A quick look shows that the Fire and ice hotel in Cape Town would be 80,000 for 5 nights and the Dorpshuis in Stellenbosch would be 40,000 for 2 nights. So he could redeem 390,000 total points and walk away with 120,000 airline miles, 7 nights in South Africa and have a 7 night certificate left over to use next year. Or even pay out of pocket for Stellenbosch somewhere else and save the 40k as prices can be very reasonable.

His options are Delta or American miles only, as those are the only two he has enough in when added to the package to fly round trip for 2 people, but getting the best awards to JNB seem to always be much easier than trying to get all the way to CPT... I've done Cathay from ORD-HKG-JNB and I've done Qatar JFK-DOH-JNB and in both cases I just booked a cash ticket JNB to CPT on a low cost carrier. It's annoying though and hope to help them find direct to CPT. Delta seems to price its as 90,000 to CPT, adding on 10k for the JNB-CPT portion. Qatar would be 80,000 using AA but only to JNB.

* I love working out trip puzzles for people