FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weather questions
View Single Post
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:45 am
GeezerCouple

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Efrem
When there is a weather forecast that is likely to cause flight disruptions, airlines often act proactively and allow passengers who are booked on flights that are likely to be affected to change their reservations, within reasonable limits that vary from situation to situation, with no penalties or charges. For example, AA has this right now about any scheduled travel from BOS (and basically every other AA destination from Newark through Bangor) on Jan. 4 or 5. You can rebook on any flight from Jan. 2 through 8 between the same two cities and in the same cabin.

Given the current forecast, and the fact that it will have been snowing heavily for six hours (give or take) when your flight is scheduled to leave, I'd jump on this before everyone else does. Assuming space is available, you can rebook on any kind of aircraft you want, so you won't have to give up your pod.

I don't know what the rest of your itinerary is, but if you're planning to fly onward from LAX, keep in mind that AA's responsibility ends where their ticket does. If you have, for example, a separate ticket to Sydney with Virgin Australia, that's not AA's concern. It's not VA's, either: their flight will take off as scheduled, and if you're not on it, they don't much care why. That's one reason why it's a good idea to book long trips on a single ticket if possible. If you had a ticket with AA that was supposed to get you to Sydney, no matter on what airline, it's AA's responsibility to make sure they do.
The weather forecast has been changing, and it now appears that there may be "blizzard conditions". (OTOH, don't forget how fast weather predictions can change, as can the actual weather.)

I agree that you might want to be proactive, and ahead of the others (to the extent possible at this point), and re-book.
Any chance you could get out tonight if there are seats?
Are you pressed for time in LAX?

Good luck!

GC