FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CXSecrets rumour: Dine on Demand cancelled, Buy on Board coming?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:26 am
Cambo

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Effective, buy food/drinks on board is a huge money saver. That's simply because when everybody is entitled to free consumptions, you need to have food/drinks for everybody on board, because it's a service included, you can't tell the back part 25% of the passengers "Sorry out of stock". All left-over food and opened bottles are discarded after a flight. Any idea how much expensive champagne gets flushed in the sink ?

Whereas with BoB, it's simply "Sorry, out of stock, we have this left, would you like that ?".

The positive part of BoB is, that the feedback on less then optimal food quality is directly visible (and the opposite around to). So, much more direct pressure to provide sufficient quality food. Food/drinks have changed from a cost-item to a direct profit-item.

Do I like BoB myself: Depends, for very-short-haul I am not so much interested in food on board and a bottle of water would be sufficient. So BoB might be an option, if needed. Water should be free, though.

For mid/long-haul: Everything available should be included for free, where stock availability would be determined by cabin type.

Or let me phrase it: Why the hell do I need food on board, when my land-side to land-side is only up to 2-5 hours ? Do I really eat at home or in the office every odd hour (nop) ?
And suppose I am worried about getting hungry, I could bring some (healthy) cookies myself, only needs some planning