FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA OSO / IROPS Re-Booking - Use Another Carrier?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:13 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Looking for a bit of advice so hopefully I'm in the right place.

On Dec 31st my wife and I were due to fly TPA -> MIA (AA565) connecting to MIA-LHR (BA208). Ticketed by BA as a single booking. AA was coach (main cabin extra) and BA was business/club world.

The AA flight was over 2.5 hours late, which meant that our connection was impossible.

What's normal for AA in respect of re-booking in this scenario? I was extremely surprised at the lack of support AA offered.

The AA agent at TPA:
- initially offered only a re-route via CLT in economy all the way. Claimed TPA-LGW on BA was full.
- no re-booking with any other airline other than BA/AA, she would not even countenance using DL/VS/UA etc.
- spent ages and ages (30+ mins) on the phone to some back office on two occasions, neither of which seemed to yield anything other than a shrug.
- after nearly 2 hours of persistence, she finally conjured up 2 Club World seats on the direct TPA-LGW flight.
It is possible
1. Club World was booked full 2 hours prior, and 2 seats opened up due to people missing that fight or other issues
2. Y was the only option for the near future.
DL/UA/VS are not normally done for IRROPS.... though I suspect there might be more leeway on other carriers if AA is late departing EU.... due to EU compensation
That said, the reverse is also true regarding these carriers booking you on AA