Old Jan 1, 18, 9:37 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 454: LAX to OGG
December 18, 2017
Boeing 737-800, Dinner

As a former transcon for catering purposes, this flight was a pretty big disappointment. The only thing that felt at all "kept" from the old quality of 2016 was the sundae service (with standard limited topping set) and cookie both. Otherwise, there were only two choices and the meal was delivered as a single tray, in pmCO style.

I really wish I could remember what the menu name is for this main. I've been caught by it once before, and as soon as I had chosen "beef" I was suddenly worrying that, yes.. this was it. Most of the beef making its way around the system is perfectly respectable (including any number of short rib renditions) but this just... isn't. It isn't patently offensive, but it tastes like a rather low-quality TV dinner and I've easily had better food in Y. The beef is tough and overcooked, like you would find in a cheap stew, and the carrots and potatoes also feel like they have been nuked past the point of any flavor. Meanwhile, the salad was the same pitiful excuse for a salad from one post upthread, made somewhat more palatable by the honey dijon dressing.

As a saving grace, the roll was actually pretty tasty, the butter was real, and the ice cream was vanilla. The Mai Tais were decent and I got some milk with my cookie before landing

Second choice was a four-cheese ravioli, and I sincerely wish I had picked that instead.

Finally, as I was thinking on the flight.. a brief shout-out to LAXOGG as I was on his route. Was hoping for a sighting but alas, still too many frames and choices for that route.