FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weligama Bay Marriott Resort & Spa - Sri Lanka [Master Thread]
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:04 pm
German Expat

Programs: UA
We just arrived at the hotel and will stay for 2 nights. We got a room on the 6th floor and not on the concierge floor but not even sure what the difference would be (no upgrade though but seems like they only have 10 suites and looking at the fire escape plan all rooms on our floor are the same size, all rooms have ocean view anyway). The hotel is still in its teething period with service being spotty but they are trying very hard (took forever to get our luggage to the room and had to follow up 3x). English is also a problem (e.g. the receptionist at the Big Fish Restaurant did not speak it so she couldn't even answer if they had a table for 3 and had to get a waiter over). We walked a bit on the beach last night and as some reviewers write online it is a bit of an eye sore (more used to those high rise hotels in Honolulu). A tall building sticking out in the middle of the bay.

The rooms are nice while a bit impractical in the bathroom (a sliding door to either close the toilet off or the shower but only 1 at a time and another sliding door to open up the rest of the bathroom to the room. All rooms have a great ocean view with lots of surfers out early morning already.
Breakfast was very good but a bit messy with a lot of stations in every corner and people being a bit confused what to get where. Also first place in Sri Lanka where they did not make egg hoppers (maybe only today? did not get a clear answer on it).
I am Gold and elite recognition here is free breakfast, free afternoon tea in the tides bar and also free evening drinks with some small food (fruits and sandwiches). Also 15% discount at the restaurant. We will head to the pool later on, it is 2 larger pools but from above already looks like not enough pool chairs (saw a lot of them occupied early morning with towels already and didn't even see Germans in the hotel ).

We ate dinner last evening at the Big Fish (seafood) restaurant. Excellent food but a bit pricey for local standards but still acceptable (paid 10000 LKR for 2 persons with juice for drinks). One thing I had to laugh was seeing a 1 liter bottle of San Pellegrino costing 2500 LKR (16 USD) excluding service fee and taxes. You can also get 250ml for 1390 though.

Internet is decent fast (my son is watching youtube and works well for him). Not sure what the device limit is, we did hook up 5 already.

I did attach the elite recognition letter. Let me know if anybody has more questions.

Gold elite benefits at Marriott Weligama Bay

Last edited by German Expat; Dec 29, 2017 at 10:09 pm