FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:13 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigwings8
Interesting 24-hour upgrade list behavior today:
I'm 1K on W fare with GPU applied. My friend is traveling on same flight, no elite status, V fare, with one of my GPUs applied. The PNRs are separate.

I checked her in just before checking myself in. Both of us are on waitlist now, but she's 1 spot above me! She "comes before" me in all checkin ordering mechanisms except elite status (fare class higher and check in time earlier). But as I understand the list, the first sorting mechanism should be elite status, no?

In the old days (pre '15 or '16), my instrument (a 1K GPU) would have given her 1K status on the upgrade list, in which case her position above me would make sense (same elite status level instrument, then compare fare class with V > W).

Also, one unrelated question:

I hadn't realized that GS waiting for CPU would come above before a 1K on an RPU. Can anyone point to evidence of this? But I guess it also only applies within 5 days of flight time since that's when GS become CPU eligible.
GS waiting for CPU clear above any non-GS upgrade within 120hrs of departure. I imagine that is what UA intended, actually.