FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:31 pm
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
I see Delta rolling this back when a ton of people drop their memberships. It would have made sense in a world when every DM automatically got a membership, but now with the number of DMs being reduced, and access becoming an optional benefit, it simply does not make sense.

I don't really understand this move. The SkyClubs are not overcrowded anymore, at least not as badly as they used to be.
What I don't get now is why anyone would now pay for a membership now since a membership is $495 for a Single membership and a DL Reserve AmEx can be had for $450. I guess the only reasons would be if you couldn't qualify for an AmEx for some reason or perhaps for an executive membership to have, albeit limited, guest privileges. The only other reasons I could see is the partner lounge access at certain airports that may not have a SkyClub but do have a partner lounge (such as IAH?) but Priority Pass could cover many of those and if you're traveling internationally, I have to imagine that if you travel enough that you're considering a SkyClub membership, you already travel enough to at least maintain GM and SkyTeam Elite Plus status.