FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairbanks in January
View Single Post
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:24 am
Chugach

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by RustyC

Would think that Anchorage and points south like Homer would be more desirable inasmuch as you'll probably get temperatures above zero F and still get to see the aurora.
Incorrect on a couple of points.

1. Weather in Anchorage (and particularly Homer) is likely to be a lot worse...I.e. cloudy. Fun fact that not many people know is that Anchorage is the cloudiest major city in the country (more so than Seattle or Portland).

2. Even if you get a clear day, the aurora is nowhere near as good in south central Alaska compared to Fairbanks or points north. I lived in Anchorage for 12 years and could count on one hand the number of good auroras I saw there compared to what you get in Fairbanks, where I lived for five years.

With climate change turning Anchorage-area winters into six months of dirt and slush, Fairbanks has kind of become the go-to place for winter tourism up there.

Also, for anyone interested, the best time of year to see the aurora is in March in Fairbanks. Statistically you are most likely to have clear weather, the daylight is even at 12 hours of daylight and darkness because of the equinox, and temperatures are much more moderate.