FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I got didn't get MVP/GOLD/75K Upgrade on AS (2017)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:43 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245
2739 PDX> TUS Dec 22
2772 TUS> PDX Dec 27
Purchased Dec 4
Fare class U
MVPG
Upgraded to 1st both flights Dec 16.

Very surprised to be upgraded for the flight on the 27th 11 days prior. Upon Checking availability after being upgraded, every seat in 1st except mine remained unsold. This is on an E75. I guess they figured they wouldn't sell 11 seats in next 10 days.
What was your original booking class? If you purchased an immediately upgradeable fare originally and there was no U seats in the bucket your upgrade would process as soon as U opened up. Perhaps the main cabin was filling up and they opened U so they would have more Y to sell. If the seat map is showing 11 seats, some may be sold but unassigned which can happen when others are upgraded but have yet to select their seat or a First seat is sold but no seat is selected (does happen, assigned at check-in) To truly see what is available, you can either do a dummy booking on the same flight or use a program such as Expert Flyer which will show availability for all buckets.

Happy you were upgraded, enjoy Tucson, Merry Christmas. I will be at my vacation home in PHX in February. Already used a companion fare and both immediately upgraded BOS-SEA-PHX, PHX-SEA-YLW.

PS Flight AS2772 12/27 currently showing:

F5 D5 P4 U4 A0 Y7 Z7 S4 B4 M3 H3
L V K G T R N W E all at 0

Looks like a light flight, surprised they haven't opened up any F saver awards (A0)