FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Honeymoon to Remember: Hong Kong, Thailand, and Japan in Style
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:10 am
blueline7

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Many thanks for the review of Amanpuri. I took particular interest in the scuba diving, as I had a similarly disappointing diving experience there. The diving was so disappointing that we just told the divemaster we didnt want to do the second dive and just wanted to return back to the Villa. It was all dead coral and nothing to see at all. Plus the skiff that took us out there from a decrepit dock was terrible. One of our party complained to Amanpuri and they removed the charge without any problem. But you went to the Similian islands, which is much farther. Our trip was close by. I had wanted to go diving there but it was always to far. We took a trip on the same boat (with a group of FT'ers who all met up at Amanpuri) and visited another FT'er at Six Senses Ya Noi for lunch. Though perhaps not as polished or exclusive, we were very, very impressed with this resort, and the prices especially upset us in comparison to Amanpuri! Given your newfound appetite for Aman, you should join us next time!

Amanpuri is an interesting resort, being the first of the Amans, and of course it is glorious, but in my experience it was not to the same level as other Amans, such as Amanpulo, Amanbagh, etc. in terms of hard and soft product. Indeed nearby Trisara has a better hard product, as their villas are pretty much the best that I had experienced, but that was 7 years ago so I don't know how it is these days. I would encourage you to try out other Amans in Asia so that you get an even better Aman experience. You and your new wife have a lot to look forward to!

With regards to the airport pickup, that is the kind of thing that is so unacceptable because it can taint an entire trip. It causes an immediate loss of confidence and causes one to critically evaluate all other parts of the experience more than one otherwise would. I would have been livid, especially on a honeymoon. I am also shocked that they did not offer you any substantial service recovery for that.

The villa that you got with the great view is amazing. Well done! Also I shall give the sun treatment a shot one day, as I was surprised to hear that it was so effective!

Can't wait for the next instalment! Thanks so much!