FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VDB compensation not as expected
View Single Post
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:23 am
DiamondInTheRough

Question VDB compensation not as expected

My 20 year old son agreed to VDB out of BHM airport last week. In exchange he was promised an email where he can choose his compensation in the amount of $400. Instead he received future flight credit in that amount (no email, we found it in his wallet in skymiles account). He has no use for this, as I buy all his tickets using my miles.

I talked to GA in MSP this week when I traveled about the situation and they told me to call CS, which is what he did. CS told him to talk to corporate. He just got off the phone with corporate and basically they told him that what he got is not negotiable and that he signed a document that he agrees to compensation. When he challenged them regarding this, the person on the line just kept repeating: this is not negotiable, take it or leave it.

He would have never agreed to be inconvenienced and delayed for $400 future flight credit. It was a very early flight he had to wake up at 3 am to take and he wanted to get home ASAP. As I said, there is no value to him in this nor is it to me.

My question is, does he have a recourse. He wanted to complain to DOT, but I told him to hold his horses before we find out if it is even under DOT purview. I am sure if he complains to Delta, they will throw some miles at him which once again will be useless. Any advice how and if to proceed?