FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on my very first HNL 'TP Run'
View Single Post
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:49 am
msm2000uk
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by madfish
24 hours on the ground? What a coward’

In all seriousness, doing a pure TP run is hard work, so probably best to avoid the alcohol. Of course, having kids can be just as arduous and can perhaps encourage some of us to go on a TP run. I would say, having a hotel, no matter how short a stay is essential rather than overnighting at an airport.

At the same time you may find some good deals out of OTP at the metro meet which gives SH+ TPs and you can also route via HEL for more.
Haha I know I know. I chickened out by not just staying within HNL airport! If it's any consolation, I did have a total crash in the Admirals Club at HNL, and fell asleep for a couple of hours!

Originally Posted by CCayley
An interesting read, and I agree with much of what you write, especially as to the joys of TSA Pre (which along with Global Entry mean I disagree with those who think encounters with officialdom when flying are in any way worse when the USA is involved - it can be easy compared to travelling to/from the UK). However, might I tactfully suggest that to a purist a TP Run involves a trip that has no purpose whatsoever beyond the acquisition of Tier Points and Avios? You had to be in HNL, so weren't you merely one of those who, in your own words, 'opt to fly a convoluted routing to their final destination'? This is not a criticism - if it wasn't a TP run you would be outwith the ambit of the derogatory term 'Honolulu Gold' occasionally to be found in use here (including once I think, by way of confession, by me).
I think you raise a very good point (no pun intended)

A TP Run has to for no other benefit other than to gain TPs and Avios. Perhaps if I'd done it with friends (as I know some do on here), then I'd have found the flying elements more enjoyable. However, having met a fellow FTer last month on my LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS trip, neither of us were particular talkative for the LAX-LAS leg as the exhaustion had already arrived!

M