FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on my very first HNL 'TP Run'
View Single Post
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:53 pm
msm2000uk
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thoughts on my very first HNL 'TP Run'

Now let me start this by saying it isn’t a moan or a rant. Indeed, quite the opposite. It is in fact in praise of those who do TP Runs on a regular basis.

Let me be clear – I’m not talking about those who opt to fly a convoluted routing to their final destination, nor those who start ex-EU to save money. I’ve routinely done the above, but have just completed my first proper TP Run.

I did genuinely need to be in Honolulu for a Client meeting, but instead of flying LHR-LAX-HNL, I thought I’d put myself through the TP Runners standard trip and see the results. As such, I flew ARN-LHR-BOS-LAX-HNL (as the Trans-Con was pricing up in too high a fare class). I did so leaving Saturday, and arriving back on Wednesday morning.

The routing I selected, put me on a variety of aircraft both from BA and AA, which actually came as a surprise to me. Perhaps I ought to have spent more time scanning all 45 pages of fares on ITA Matrix, but I didn’t realise that:

1) BA fly 777-200’s on the BOS route. Had I known, I would have selected a later departing flight from BOS. Fortunately, my outbound was on a 777-300 with larger IFE screens etc.

2) AA fly 777s to HNL. I fortunately managed to select one for the outbound, but not the inbound.

The routing I did select however, absolutely minimised layovers. The longest I had, was 2h10m, and that was at LHR prior to my final leg of the trip. In hindsight, I’m grateful I did that, as it allowed me to have my first shower in 26 hours (I checked out my hotel at 4pm, and walked out the shower in the CCR at 6am).

While that element wasn’t too terrible (TP flying is hardly odorous work), the fact that I slept 2 nights on planes, was exhausting. Sure, the BOS-LHR was on a flat bed for all of 5.5 hours, but HNL-LAX was on an A321 (2-2) and offered me 5 hours of turbulent rest.

So as to ‘maximise’ the experience, I cheated slightly. Instead of staying at a TP Run regularly recommended HNL hotel, I opted to burn Marriott Reward points and thus, my total hotel stay was the $25 resort fee.

This meant that the travel elements of my trip cost, was circa £1850. Not too bad, for 920 TPs and a 1 night hotel stay I thought at the time.

So what have I learnt?

Well, it has shown me the importance of having TSA Pre-Check. The hassle of having to unpack my belongings once, is enough to annoy me (despite the fact that I pack like a pro, and my OCD means everything has a particular place in my bag!). Fortunately, since signing up to Global Entry last year, Pre-Check makes everything quite easy.

It has also taught me that holding loyalty across a number of hotel chains, can be wonderfully cost effective. My status with MR meant that I could check out at 4pm, opposed to 11am in HNL.

I’ve realised that TP Running is hard work. Sure, not in the dictionary definition, but in terms of the physical strain it puts on the body. I had one night in HNL, and perhaps I’d feel better if I’d had longer – but work only needed me in town for 24 hours.

The other thing it taught me, was that the AA Forum on FT isn't as scary as some have made out! It was in fact a hive of great help and guidance.

Would I do it again? Honestly, only if the price was better (£1.30-£1.50 per TP), and only if I could spend more time on the ground.

And there-in lies the difference between a convoluted journey (LHR-JFK-LAX-LAS for example), and a TP Run.

I'll continue to book Ex-Eu trips to save money, and will fly longer than necessary routings, but only if I have a few days on the ground. 24 hours, is simply too little for such a long journey.

I applaud those of you who do them regularly, and I dare say there are tips you can proffer. However, for now, I’m going to sleep– in a real bed for a change.

Happy Holidays

M