FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why doesn't IAG standardise on OneWorld and other benefits?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:22 am
dylanks

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Why doesn't IAG standardise on OneWorld and other benefits?

After reading many threads over the months which lead to general confusion by passengers, I still don't understand why all IAG carriers don't join OneWorld, and why IAG thinks it is better to have so many inconsistencies?

Examples:
  • Tier points on a VY flight are only earned if it is BA marketed, not if it is IB marketed, or similar with EI
  • VY and EI don't have a club europe cabin, making shorthaul connections more limited when flying on longhaul premium routes
  • Lounge access inconsistencies (in particular lounge access for Aer Lingus and Vueling flights)
  • Level flights don't earn tier points (isn't it punishment enough to travel on Level as it is?)
I know that there is a cost associated with having an airline be part of OneWorld and providing these benefits, but they have the same parent company. Wouldn't it greatly simplify things overall for IAG if BA, IB, EI, VY, and Level were treated the same from the perspective of OneWorld benefits, tier points, shorthaul business class cabin, and lounge access?

Note, I do not believe IAG should standardise on a revenue based loyalty programme, so I've left that out of the above suggestions.

So, the purpose of this thread is to discuss reasons, perhaps make a list of inconsistencies and maybe persuade IAG to eventually improve in this area.