FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:24 pm
Maxwell Smart

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Airline_Brat
I have GE & have gotten precheck 100% since getting it a few years ago. Until October when I transited through Istanbul on my way home to the US from Greece. I got SSSS at Istanbul and had to go through extensive security checks at the gate. But it seemed they were doing it to everyone, so I wasn't too worried about it. (The pat down was actually less invasive than the TSA.)

Tomorrow is my first trip since, traveling domestic with my husband (he wasn't on the Greece trip) and I was able to check him in online, but not me. So now I know I'm not going to be getting precheck tomorrow & will get the full SSSS treatment. I'm pretty peeved that if I had known I could have just avoided that routing. I actually picked it because I'd heard about the amazing lounge in IST. Gah. Well if it's going to drop off after a few months like others are reporting, I'll try to calm down. I didn't even get to visit Turkey for all this trouble!
So apparently this is quite a YMMV situation, and your lack of online checkin may or may not have anything to do with Turkey. Per my experience at the end of October (the post right above yours), the SSSS I had for my flight departing IST to the US had no effect on security screening--I was subject to the same screening as everyone else, nothing special or extra because of the SSSS. And tomorrow I'm embarking on my second domestic trip within the US since then, no issues with either online checkin or pre-check (which, like you, I have through GE). And I DID enter Turkey for a few hours during the layover at IST.

Are you by chance flying Delta? Could your situation be related to flight cancellations/rebookings due to the ATL shutdown yesterday?

Good luck! (and the TK lounge was pretty awesome, right?)