FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amtrak Cascades Train 501 Derails Off Interstate 5 Overpass near DuPont, WA
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:11 pm
TheBOSman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
While train dynamics are not my area of expertise, my guess is that using a lightweight Talgo set to push a 132 ton diesel at speed would not be a great idea.
They've been doing it for years with F59s and the Amtrak Genesis units more recently with an NPCU on the other end without issue. Shouldn't be any particular issues relating to the new Siemens Chargers specifically, or to that method of operation. It appears here that a Charger was on one end and a P42 Genesis was on the other. The Charger appears to have been pulling, as it is I-5 southbound that was closed and the P42 is facing back towards the camera from the pictures I've seen which have been taken facing south on I-5. The Charger is on the ground as well.

Also, some reports stating the train may have hit a truck: https://seattle.curbed.com/2017/12/1...blm-derailment

I'm also now seeing more pictures of the several train cars that derailed and went onto the highway, not only the one that is seen dangling precipitously from the bridge. At least one train car ended up in an upside down position. Six fatalities confirmed . Awful all around, a sad day.

From a passenger on board, who is also the Pierce County Transit Advisory Board chairman:

Last edited by TheBOSman; Dec 18, 2017 at 12:24 pm