FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Question] To extend my membership
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:35 am
Cymro

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Sorry to hijack the thread but I too am trying to get my head around all this... perhaps someone can tell me if I have this right...

When you acquire status it remains valid from when you acquire it to the end of that tier point year and then to the end of the month of the expiry of the following tier point year. So, if my tier point year end say, June 2nd 2018 and I acquire Silver status on 1st Nov 2017 then I keep Silver until 30th June 2020.

If I then did a tier point run between 2nd June 2020 and 30th June 2020 to get me Silver again I would then get another 2 years of Silver. That way I only need to fly every 2 years to keep status... between the end of my tier point year and the end of that month.

Is this correct? I am entering a period of no flying for a while and want to know what I have to do to keep status with the minimum flying.
Nearly. If you acquired silver on 1 November 2017 then you would get the rest of your TP year + 1 full year + the ~8-week wind-down period - so that's 2019, not 2020. The wind-down period ends on 31 July for a TP year ending in June, not 30 July. So your target for a QR ex-EU plus 40TP from four BA flights would be between 9 June 2019 and about 20 July 2019 (to give time for the TPs to post). This does rather assume that the BA tier point model hasn't changed by then...