FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AM: AMS to HAV €160, to LIM €208 rtn a.i., plus other Central/South American cities
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:33 am
tobitronics

Programs: FB Silver - STE, BAEC Bronze - OW Ruby
Originally Posted by tomasdev
HALF TRIP REPORT

Ended up positioning JFK-MSP-AMS with DL, when there was a promotional $320 r/t ai price. Also took LIM-EZE for 25k miles r/t (heh Argentine here)

1) JFK-MSP got upgraded to 1st, just a day before flight. Checked-in via app, used the digital boarding pass to do everything (gate agent at MSP checked my passport.) JFK-MSP ran without delays, but MSP-AMS got a 3hr delay, due to a mechanical problem in one of the wings (saw the technician working on my window haha!) which ended up resulting in an aircraft swap (same aircraft model so we kept our seats)
2) Had an originally 12 hour layover in AMS (just in case, phew! ended up being 9hs) - I decided not to go into the city because I had two heavyish carry-on pieces, and didn't want to spend money leaving it at the airport. Time flew anyway at the Lounge 52 KLM lounge and I got a shower (note: their showers don't offer a toilet, so make sure you go to the toilet before showering if you need to) that really refreshed me. Totally recommended on these long runs. I didn't dare to ask if AMS-MEX was free upgradeable for DL DM, but I will probably do on return. A couple seats on J were empty, and it is very unclear which countries does the free upgrades apply to (I read Spanish and their own Club Premier upgrade rules are also unclear.)
3) Arrived at MEX around 3.30am, customs was obviously empty and pretty fast. I think I was the only one without any checked bags and the security peeps were actually surprised ha! Flight to LIM to leave at 8am, but lounges only open at 5am. By the way, Club Premier lounge is currently under renovation (closed) so had to wait an hour for AmEx Centurion to open (which was also renewed since the last time I was there, a year and a half ago)
Platinum card holders get a free complete breakfast (there are a couple options) and drinks. When boarding for LIM, I went to the gate agent to ask if it was eligible for upgrade to J, given online I only read it was Mexico domestic flights, caribbean and Ecuador that have the upgrade for Delta Diamonds. She told me YES!! (so great DP here) and proceeded to confirm me immediately, giving me a 3B boarding pass. Also, she made me sign a paper saying I would be ok with receiving economy food on the seat, because they weren't in time to get new catering (totally makes sense, I just wanted to sleep for those 6 hours in a more comfy seat.) Ended up receiving a first class breakfast anyway, which was weird (I guess someone didn't want theirs) but took it anyway. Very nice service, since I was sleeping the first 4 hs and it was just 2 hs before landing when the FA offered me the meal (seeing me wake up.)
4) Departed MEX on time, arrived at LIM around 3.30pm and my connecting flight was at 10 that night. The AR1364 flight was 1hr late, so my AR1365 ended up 1hr later. Too tired. But well, I'm visiting friends and family now. Great asado and best flan mixto.

Remember, if you're doing this MR: DO ASK YOUR GATE AGENT FOR UPGRADE TO FIRST IF YOU'VE MEDALLION STATUS!
Was @MEX on the 25th/28th of november and club premier lounge was open. There was a note on the door at 3:30 AM that said it was closed due to 'works' but the lounge opened at 4AM anyway.