FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:07 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by aztimm
I just made EXP with a flight that posted this morning. When I log into my account, it shows that I have 4 SWU's earned, but 1 used and 3 available. How do I have 1 used when I wasn't EXP before today?

The only thing I can think of is earlier this year a friend gifted me SWU's that I used for DFW-NRT/NRT-DFW.

I did email customer service, but curious if anyone else has seen anything like this.
BINGO! I had this happen to me where AA did not process the gift properly and it was several years before I earned EXP so history records were long gone. Fortunately the EXP had notes and the EXP desk was very helpful in restoring my SWU even when the AAAuditor was adamant about taking it away.

Get the EXP to check his/her account to see if it came back when they failed to use it for your flight. If AA would have provided access to SWU balances as a Plat I would have resolved this issue at the time of the flight and everything was fresh.