Old Dec 11, 17, 3:07 pm
jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by AKDan View Post
For July 10 - Depending on how many stops on the Seward Hwy, you may consider taking a quick trip to Hope. Hope is a tiny little town founded due to the Gold Rush on the Kenai Peninsula. Be aware, it is about 60 miles from Girdwood so it may be too much driving. It's a pretty drive and there isn't a huge amount of things to do - tourist activities usually include kayaking or gold mining but it's a place to go if you have the time.
Hope is lovely--I have an old friend who owns a B&B there, and it's just a nice place to get away from the city and enjoy beautiful scenery in peaceful surrounds. I'd suggest it might be the closest bit of "real small-town Alaska" (without being overrun with tourists) to Anchorage. Not a ton to do there, as AKDan said, but pleasant just the same--but easily pulled out of your itinerary if you don't have the time.

As far as transportation from the Hertz office in downtown (I assume it's the one by the Hotel Captain Cook) there is a bus system in Anchorage, but I honestly have no idea how to navigate it. Uber is in Anchorage now, or the bellman at the Captain Cook can probably rustle up an old-fashioned cab.
PeopleMover, the Anchorage bus system, has recently revamped its route network (a controversial subject among bus-riding locals, of which there aren't many...), and it still doesn't easily get most people where they need to go, but the upshot is there is now frequent and direct bus service between the airport and downtown, even late into the night for the red-eye flight arrivals/departures. (Route 40 is the one you want, and departures are now every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes in the evening, with the last departure at 1:30am.) It terminates about 20 minutes later at the downtown transit center on 6th Ave, which is three blocks from Hertz. The bus fare is $2 (an Uber ride is about $16+surge+tip). Details/schedules/maps/etc. at People Mover.

and there is also a meet up thread for ANC that you can post in for the "big city" Alaska FT'ers.
It's here, if your schedule gives you time to pause for a short bit and meet up! I can personally attest that the ANC FT cadre is welcoming and gregarious and will gladly meet up at the drop of a hat: The Consolidated ANC Meet-Up Thread