FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Overnight EWR hotel due to United Mechanical failure?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:04 am
NYScot

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
Originally Posted by timbre
Oh, I do not think that UA and Chase will coordinate in any way. My experience with Chase is that their insurance programs attempt to find any way possible to deny a claim. I have personal experience with this (not a travel claim). So, if it is a mechanical delay do they just automatically deny since they know UA will pay under those conditions? Any real experience out there?
I too would be interested if they deny when they know it was a mechanical and you got something from the airline.
When we had a mechanical a few weeks ago leaving EDI I rebooked on the phone and found my own hotel to avoid the massive line at the airport.
I thought about claiming the hotel on my Chase Reserve insurance. When you fill in the form online it asks how much the airline gave you - I felt bad admitting that United had already shelled out vouchers for $1200 ($900 EC 261 + a $300 "we're sorry" voucher) so I abandoned the claim. It was only $100 and couldn't be bothered with trying to explain why I didn't wait for United's accommodation offer, supplying documentation etc.
If it wasn't for the EC261 comp I would probably have followed through (or if I didn't find a last minute rate at a decent Hilton).