FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taxes on Avios Upgrade
View Single Post
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:24 pm
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Plenty of reports of this on here over the last few weeks / months... book the best price online in WT+ and call to UuA just paying the additional £150 or whatever it is taxes plus the Avios
Having just had to deal with this call centre issue for the first time, I thought I would pass on what I've learned.

The itinerary that I wanted could not be booked online. It was EUR-LHR-XXX in J then XXX-LHR in W, with the intention of UuAing the XXX-LHR.

On initially calling to book, I was quoted a fare that was higher than that which ITA had quoted. The booking classes were correct, so of course it turned out that the XXX-LHR was not priced using the applicable DIF. But the DIF should have been valid, because it could be booked online using a LHR-XXX-LHR itinerary all in W, there was plenty of availability right through the Y booking classes, and ITA had quoted.

I told the agent what I suspected, and he was able to ask the machine for another quote "using specific dates" to try to get the DIF. That worked, and the whole transaction (including UuA) then went through with no more trouble.

So perseverance with this should work, so long as you already know that the DIF ought to work.