FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF/KL/DL to also introduce new fare structure for Trans-Atlantic flights
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:55 pm
CyBeR

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
On a side note: LH also introduced these "light fares" a while ago but only offers them in/from markets were there is LCC competition like most airports in Scandinavia ( Norwegian! ). Wait and see if KL/AF will offers these fares systemwide.
So far only between Europe and US/Canada, as per the documentation. That's hardly system-wide. LCC competition to Africa/Asia isn't as big as to the US/Canada so I wouldn't expect that to change too soon.

Meanwhile, the KL website actually has these fares for sale. It appears that they now advertise the Light fare, and that the Light fare is indeed a bit cheaper than the fare was before today, though obviously not having known about this change beforehand I did not check prices earlier for a direct comparison. For example AMS-YYZ (return) is now €376 for the Light fare which I think is lower than I've ever seen while €456 (Standard) is in the same ballpark.

It appears that adding a first bag without an FB account will cost €50 each way, so buying the Standard fare is slightly cheaper than adding bags later, and the same price if you are an FB ivory member.