FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Refund of cancelled ticket prior to 4+ hour delay
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:41 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brodes
We cancelled due to my son developing a high fever that landed us in the ER the night before. Now, he was not planning on coming with us, but we could not leave him with family after that. I have the hospital discharge papers that should qualify me for a refund based on the policy I read. I see requesting a refund for a delay as a simpler process. That's why I reached out with this question. Wasn't sure of it was clear cut or not. Sounds like it ends up in a grey area. Will probably stick to the original reason when requesting refund.
You are extremely unlikely to receive a refund due to an illness. What UA will provide is a refund of the change fee when you later attempt to use the credit from that cancelled flight. So, you'd book a new flight (for the same traveler), pay the appropriate change fee, and then request a refund of that fee by providing the documentation from the hospital. If the new ticket is less expensive, you'll get the difference as an Electronic Travel Certificate, good for one year (for any traveler). Per UA policy, the only way to get a refund due to illness is to get a doctor's note saying that travel is inadvisable for the entire remainder of the ticket's validity.

Originally Posted by brodes
Great point about waiting until the last second before cancelling. I just feel bad leaving what was a packed flight with empty seats for folk trying to squeeze onboard. But need to lookout for myself first...
No need to feel bad. UA expects a certain number of no-shows and factors that into its inventory. Your seat would have been assigned to someone else at the gate.