FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW in only 737 NG aircraft
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:58 pm
MrGroover

Programs: Miles & More, Miles&Smiles, Hilton Honors
October 6, 2017

Breakfast was served in the hotel's restaurant. As a Gold member, the continental option was free of charge for me (MyWay benefit). Hot options were available at $10. Since the hotel is in Chinatown, there were also hot Chinese options available. At the first day, I decided that the continental option would be sufficient for me.

After breakfast, I started my walk to Ft. Mason. Since some years, I have my Friday San Francisco Fleet Week spot there. You are close to the action with a nice view and magnificent backgrounds. You can get a glimpse of that in the first picture already.

That Friday started with the Parade of Ships---the Navy ships entering the Bay for Fleet Week. The first ship was the USS Essex at 11 am. USS Essex is am amphibious assault ship. As mentioned, magnificent backgrounds.

USS Essex in side view.

USS Essex was followed by USS Champion, a mine countermeasure boat.

And there also was the Canadian frigate HMCS Winnipeg.

The airshow started at noon. Friday is scheduled as a practice day, although the whole show is presented. Opening act were the US Navy Seals Leap Frogs with their parachute jumps.

Following is the demonstration of the US Coast Guard. USCG is operating the smaller version of the C-130, the HC-27.

Typically, there is also a fighter jet demonstration. F-16 Fighting Falcon had the honors this year. Very much pronounced are the shock diamonds (Mach's diamonds).

Besides the Blue Angles there is at least one more jet demonstration team. This year, the Canadian Snowbirds participated.

This one was not part of the agenda but caught everybody's attention. A DIY hoover craft.

Next up and this year for the very last time was United's 747 demonstration. The main question was: will a 747 be shown? I have already seen 777 or even a 757 doing the United demonstration. Well, for the very last time, only the Queen herself was on display.

Entering the scene.

Dirty Low Pass

Two more flyovers and another pass in between (High Speed Pass).

The Queen of the Skies will be missed next year...

For many spectators, the Blue Angels are the highlight of the show. I quickly realized that they will be flying the exact same show as every year. Since Friday is practice day, they also used the two-seaters (tail #7 ), with both guest seats occupied. Usually, reporters or other local VIPs are invited for a ride with the Blue Angels, but I am not sure, whether they are also invited to join for the whole practice show.

If you are in the know what happens next, you are prepared. Here is also another example of the backgrounds only San Francisco offers.

I was a little disappointed that there were only two US Navy ships. Originally, USS Dewey was supposed to join as well, but was canceled last minute. I heard they had some engine/oil spill issues and returned to San Diego. Besides the two Navy ships, there was also one supply ship having Open Ship on Saturday, which I planned to visit that day. Other than that, the C-130 of the Blue Angels, Fat Albert, was also missing.

After the air show, I walked back to the hotel and thought about dinner options. I opted for Asian/Chinese, as it was so close to the hotel. On my way back to the hotel I came across Burgermeister on Columbus Ave., and for a blink of an eye I had to struggle with my decision. I stayed strong, so Chinese it was. From my hotel room, I orded pick-up at Z & Y Restaurant. Food was very delicious and I can totally understand the crowds that waited in line in front of the restaurant.

Another evening ended with me falling asleep way too early...