FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:00 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adr7090
Hi There,
I am scheduled to travel SIN-LAX January 7th and requested a MUA on a "U" class fare on the 7'th November as a Premier Platinum. I now SIN-SFO is insanely hard to get an upgrade although it's old Polaris compared to HKG-SFO which has the new classy polaris. As of today the available classes stands as below.
  • J9
  • JN5
  • C5
  • D0
The flight is a 787-9 with 48 business seats and are currently 25 available. Any information would be great otherwise I am planning to switch to SIN-HKG-SFO route as there are new polaris available for upgrade for the HKG-SFO route.
Thanks to all of you.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

When using Expert Mode to determine upgrade chances, you always want to search for just the overwater segment you're interested in. On January 7, SIN-SFO is J3 JN3 C1 D0 and SIN-LAX is J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z0. It's not clear from your message which of the two you're on, but your chances are basically zero on SIN-SFO and low on SIN-LAX. (They're only selling three seats on SIN-SFO, and they're not selling any discount seats on SIN-LAX). Also, the seat map is an unreliable indicator of load. You can get a better idea from the flight status page: SIN-SFO / SIN-LAX . Click on the "United Polaris business Upgrade Standby List." You may need to try reloading / clicking a few times. SIN-SFO is booked 43/48 and SIN-LAX is booked 26/48.

UA no longer flies SIN-HKG. It's unlikely you would be able to switch to SIN-HKG-SFO-LAX without paying a substantial difference in fare. UA is attempting to route people on the nonstops or via the ANA Joint Venture through Tokyo (on a 7-hour flight on ANA which you wouldn't be able to upgrade).

Even ignoring paid business class traffic, keep in mind that every single GS or 1K member will have applied an upgrade certificate to this flight if they have any left, and they will all be ahead of you on the waiting list.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 4, 2017 at 12:32 pm Reason: typo