FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:45 am
pitflyer

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I would think a cancelled award would NOT increase your LT points since they do not decrease them when redeemed. They do reduce the LT points of the sender when transferred to another account, but rightly so increase on the other end. If I read PitFlyer's post correctly, when combining points for a specific award, his wife's LT points did not decrease, but did not state if his increased. They may have a way to transfer points without hitting LT points.
I haven't done it myself yet, I'm still saving up for the award. However, several others (including imverge above) confirmed that when you redeem with transferred points YOUR lifetime balance goes up, and the other person's lifetime balance goes DOWN. I don't know if anyone has cancelled after redeeming an award from multiple accounts, but my assumption is it would all go back into the account of the person who redeemed the award, not the original donor account. Again, YMMV. Since Starpoints transfers can be done completely online, the possibility of LT points going up is the only reason I plan to transfer the points as Marriott points, not SPG points. Otherwise a lot easier with SPG.