FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:34 pm
DrRodneyMcKay

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Mamibear
If you want to buy GCs, it is best to buy physical GCs from brick and mortar stores like BestBuy, Walmart, BedBathNBeyond, etc because of possibility of the card loads getting clawed back by the merchant. Nieman Marcus did it and the buyers who have already resold the eGCs later on found themselves reported to collections agency. With physical GCs bought from the stores, you can drain the load immediately after buying them and as long as you have the offer saved to each card, you can expect the credits to post days later. IF, by chance you don't have the offer saved and you also didn't get the confirmation email, it may be difficult to prove you had the offer to the card number. I've experienced where I knew I saved the offer but right after redeeming the offer, it was removed from my saved list but fortunately, I got the credit on the card days later.
Sorry if I"m derailing the thread a bit - this is all new to me. When you say "drain the load," what does that mean, exactly? Also, I assume the merchant clawing back the card loads means basically resetting the card balance to 0?

I'm also a bit worried about this because Amex has become stricter about "gaming" and gift card purchases recently. I've only ever bought one gift card using my Amex in four years of having it, so I do have a good track record, but I don't want that to change.