FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:51 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Conversation with GS agent revealed that there are 4 XN + GPU and 2 W + GPU (my wife and myself). Earlier this year, my wife cleared ahead of me on her XN + GPU while I was booked Q + GPU and cleared several days later. My ticket was booked prior to her XN ticket too... so nothing makes sense about how they queue us up to clear into PN.

I doubt there will end up being a single I/IN on this flight... right now, I'm feeling that if we clear, it will be at the gate given only 15/48 available at this point. GS agent a couple weeks back told me nobody has cleared into PN as of yet, so all confirmed seats are revenue or JN at this point.
Just a guess but since GS are the only ones who can upgrade an award ticket with a GPU, the UA IT team forgot to code XN as a fare class lower than the other fare classes that certs work on. So it's possible that XN is equivalent to "Y" for upgrade purposes and that's why GS + XN is getting PN before GS + W or GS + Q gets PN. That's the only explanation, especially if you're sure the GS + Q ticketed before the GS + XN ticketed.

-RM