FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is a larger than standard tip expected when dining out on a holiday?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:47 pm
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theshaun
Like a poster above mentioned, I will leave a larger tip for the staff at my regular spot and wish them a happy holidays so they know why the gratuity would be a big bigger than normal.
This is a special one off and would not consider anywhere else. When I walk in the staff greet me and my better half by name, we engage with them on a personal level and know many of their stories as they do ours.
I agree, this is the ONLY reason to increase the tip during the holidays, unless you're a reformed Scrooge. It is certainly not an expectation.

And as others have said, if the tip is included on the bill, no need to add to it. That's so uncommon in the US (except at high end restaurants using a ticketing system), that they can't possibly expect anyone to tip on top. And to the OP, in my experience waiter and waitress friends will tell you all day long how hard they work and that they deserve way more than a 20% tip...it's actually quite annoying, but shouldn't change your behavior at all.