FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:32 pm
In The 216
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jsloan
“10 months in advance” doesn’t mean much in this context. It does control your position on the waitlist, vis-a-vis passengers who are in the same fare class as you, but that’s all. Most business travel is planned within about 2 weeks of departure, with the exception of conferences and the like.

I don’t know much about pricing on US-Australia, but what I would do is go ahead and keep your waitlist for now and keep an eye on both the load and the price of a P fare. You shouldn’t need to pay a change fee to move to business class on the same flight (refer to GG BUYUP if the agent talks about a fee). If a fare sale comes up, go for it; otherwise, I’d continue to wait. I believe that UA has some 150-day advance purchase P fares; 50- and 30- day fares are also common. So, those are probably your decision points; read the advance purchase rules on the current fare and you’ll get an idea of when the price is likely to escalate. (Of course, they can pull a fare at any time, and they can choose to limit P inventory at their leisure — but you’re already gambling by waitlisting an instrument... )

If you’re feeling lucky — or if load stays low — you can take it all the way to the gate with the hope of a buy-up offer. If you search the buy-up thread, I expect you’ll be able to find some examples of what those cost (assuming your GPU doesn’t look likely to clear, that is).
I think the statement you made about most business travel being planned with two weeks of departure is grossly generalized and likely not true. I don't think MOST business travel is planned within 14 days of departure. Some? Of course, most? Probably not.