FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:23 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by B747forever
Option 2 works best for me as I need to go through LHR (eliminates 1) and I have to arrive close to my original booked schedule (eliminates 3). However, how does this work with a possible compensation? As option 2 will have me depart ARN 2 hours earlier than originally booked, I should be entitled to compensation. However, if BA offers me option 1 or 3 and I decline and want option 2, does it mean that it is a voluntary reroute and no compensation due?
BA will normally offer option 1, and at least on paper if then choose a longer duration routing unnecessarily that would be for your account and not allow EC261. Clearly the trick will be for BA to offer you option 2 without offering option 1 or 3. Personally I think you're best going with option 1 or 3 anyway. But the usual rebooking conditions do indicate direct routings are allowed/encouraged with QR. It may be that regardless, if you claim EC261 off option 2 they may pay it anyway, but I don't see them as being required to do this.