FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel plans on social media is a great help to thieves
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:30 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Fraser
Just change your Facebook privacy settings accordingly. I don't bother with Twitter, Instagram or anything else so don't know how those work.
Nothing on my Facebook is public and I only have people as FB friends who I actually know in real life. So unless a friend or family member is in cahoots with a ring of thieves, there isn't any harm in posting to FB while traveling. My IG is public but there's nothing on it with my name, pic, home town, or anything else and I don't geotag anything with local area pics (or really take any at home anyway), so good luck figuring out my address from IG. My Twitter is public but I just use it for contests and to follow some news and corporate accounts so I'm not sure about its privacy settings.

For me it's more likely that my home would be targeted randomly by thieves who think it looks unoccupied in person, though I of course do what I can to minimize the house being a target of opportunity while we're gone.