FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:17 am
Duke787
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jpdx
Honestly, you're not likely to find anything at reasonable prices in Tokyo. If it's for your own consumption, try to get a few minis -- the loft in Shibuya usually has (and did have last week) Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 12. You can swing by Liquor Mountain in Shinjuku, on the off chance that they have a regular sized bottle of Hakushu 12, or (more likely), Nikka 12. Japan has become a horrible place to buy Japanese whiskey; there just isn't much availability, and what little there is is horribly overpriced. In fact, prices have become so eye-watering that you can occasionally find better deals in hotel minibars that haven't had price lists updated recently -- I spotted a bottle of Hibiki 12 (!) at 980 yen last week.
Disappointing but not surprising. I'll try the mini approach and if anyone else sees this before next Friday and has any pointers let me know.

Got my bottle last year thanks to some awesome FTers on this thread who pointed me to some small shop near Ginza so open to any ideas - definitely don't want to break the bank but honestly in NC, the best I can hope to do is $250-299 plus shipping (no one in the state carries it) so that's my upper limit.