FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Poor Experience D1 ATL-JNB
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2017, 4:19 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nw6338
Bit of a rant...had a very poor experience the other day flying ATL-JNB in D1. Obviously a very long flight and a very expensive ticket in J (5000 + USD)

- Old, surly and rude flight attendants who had terrible attitudes, except for one. Not to be ageist but I think two flight attendants had to be at least 65 years old.

- Food was nearly inedible and during desert service, flight attendant serving simply asked "What do you want?" - very unprofessional

- About 9 hours into the 15 hour flight, when most of the cabin was dead asleep, a male flight attendant started talking SO loudly in the galley, waking me up wearing ear plugs and could still be heard over noise canceling headphones. Of course he was complaining about Delta and being unable to hold on to the ATL-JNB route that senior flight attendants only have to fly a few times a month to get their hours. Talk about passion and again, very unprofessional!

- No mid flight meal or anything offered other than small snacks one would find on a snack basket on a domestic service in F. Unacceptable for a 15 hour flight.

- No flight attendants offering any beverages besides at meal services which were about 12-13 hours apart

Super disappointed as this is my preferred route to SA (still better than SAA) but I will think twice before paying a premium on this route again.
Was a mid-flight snack service listed in the menu? It is on the TPAC flights and they really do serve it, although if it's a cold plate, I usually ask that they not wake me and rather save mine to be my breakfast, to be consumed just before arrival.I also indicate when orders are taken whether I want to be awakened for meals....otherwise I find it very easy to sleep through either the mid-flight snack or breakfast.

You should ask your friend to look for the mid-flight snack on the menu and ideally to save the menu for you. It's more effective to complain if you can definitely say that the FAs didn't serve one of the announced meals.

BTW, did you ask the FAs for a snack? There's usually a pretty good snack basket left out throughout the flight in D1, although it's not the same as a plated and served mid-flight snack service. Sometimes you can also beg for a leftover dessert or other stuff that's cold and still safe to eat.