FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:58 pm
Gajan
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
What is a good moment to try? Spending on my and my wife's co-card together is a significant six digit amount. The card has some value for us, I do actually make use of the concierge service from time to time, various insurance covers every 18 months, and - probably the most convenient - as long as we have the card my wife is also Platinum for life, which she enjoys when traveling alone. She would qualify on her own in many years, but not always. Through the card she has that. Obviously many FB miles come through the spending, although not that many level miles (tickets for my professional trips, which are the ones bringing in the segments and level miles, are not paid with this card but through our corporate TA). But is that worth 570 EUR? I have second thoughts.
we call at the end of the year (when the annual contribution is due).

what you could also consider, if you are contemplating on cancelling, is to take the card for 12 months, cancel for 12 months and then reapply. That way every time you get the new member discount (in NL first year sees a reduced fee and bonus miles - not sure what you get in France). If you time it right, your wife can continue the FB Platinum status too

Alternatively, in the second year you could apply for the the regular platinum card via your wife as main card holder and enjoy the other benefits that that card provides - also getting the new member discount if the down period is at least 12 months that your wife has not been main cardholder.

small addition: not sure what the rules are in France regarding new joiner benefits, in NL you are considered a new member if you have not held a specific product for 12 months

Last edited by Gajan; Nov 23, 2017 at 2:15 am