FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza {US-NY}
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:49 pm
OhDoctor

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by flyme2
I've been visiting NYC since I was 16, 45 years ago. During that timeframe, I, as a single traveler, and in the past 36 years, with my late wife, have stayed at 30 different Manhattan properties, ranging from the Yotel to the Mandarin Oriental. The Hilton Millennium at One UN Plaza is always a safe bet when you want consistency in both the quality of accommodation, service and access to a halfway decent Executive Lounge, not a small feat in Manhattan. We first stayed here on the 80,'s, when it was owned by the city of New York and managed by Hyatt. I still have photos of my wife and I lounging by the 'pool in the sky' on the 27'th floor (now inexplicably closed). In those days, the Ambassador Grill was a really great dining venue, with arguably the best Sunday brunch in town. Today, unfortunately, it is a shadow of its former self. Apart from these two negative points, this property suits my needs perfectly. All rooms are fairly large, nicely furnished and offer fantastic views either over the East River or the Chrysler Building. Staying at other Manhattan properties can be a real crapshoot as your experience will so often be determined by the room you are assigned, and that can vary immensely in so many NYC hotels, especially the older ones. I'm 61, and can easily walk to The Capital Grille on 42'nd, near Grand Central, in 12 minutes. Other dining options are plentiful on either 2'nd or 3'td Avenues that encompass all budgets. The neighborhood is quiet, which is important when one wants to avoid the constant blaring horns and frequent sirens that seem to be heard at all hours. I really see no downside to staying here, especially if you hold HH status. It has always proven to be a reliable choice, at least in my experience.
Thanks for this great summary and historic perspective. Very sorry about your wife.