FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling to the US to Settle Arrest Warrants
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:57 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'll echo what Section 107 has written.

I'll add the following. Have your attorney go to court and try to have the bail on the warrant set at an amount that you can afford to post. Upon arrival in the US be prepared to post cash bail to be released from custody pending the court hearing. In the alternative, have your attorney make arrangements with a bail bondsman to post a bond on you behalf. If you post cash bail, you can expect to have it applied towards the fine that will be imposed as part of the sentence or conditions of probation. The bail bond fee is generally not refundable. If you are detained upon arrival pending the court hearing, you will receive credit for the time that you spent in custody against any jail time that may be imposed by the court and/or may have the amount of the fine reduced.

Lastly, even though I am an attorney experienced in criminal matters, let me caution you that you should trust your attorney's advice over that given by anonymous posters on an internet bulletin board.

And, BTW, in the US, a DUI is not a considered to be a minor misdemeanor. Do not say anything in court that will give that judge the impression that you do not consider this to be a serious offense.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 21, 2017 at 9:55 am Reason: Add "not"